The Problems Actuaries Solve
How we manage risk.
Explaining what we do would not be complete without explaining risk.
Risk comes in many forms. Everybody and every organization faces risk. As experts in measuring and managing risk, we fill a significant need in our society. Our contribution to society's psychological, physical and economic well-being is incredible. If our risk management programs didn't exist, our economy would not be able to flourish.
To illustrate, here are just a few of the problems we solve:
- We determine how much an insurance company should charge for auto insurance, taking into account many factors such as the car that is being insured and details about the driver.
- We develop life insurance products so that parents can enjoy adventurous recreational activities such as rock climbing while feeling secure that their children will be cared for in the event of an accident.
- We determine how much an insurance company should charge for homeowners insurance, considering a number of factors such as where the home is located.
- We determine how much an insurance company should charge businesses for the many different types of insurance that businesses need, such as liability insurance and business interruption insurance.
- We help companies establish their retirement plans.
- We assist banks in managing their assets and liabilities and develop ways to manage financial risk.
Risk is at the heart of the problems we solve.